Sunday, March 30, 2008

Project update 10 - Melbourne calling

This week I travelled to Melbourne for the Medieval Imagination exhibition opening and a number of related events. On Wednesday night I attended the Foxcroft lecture by Professor David McKitterick from Trinity College, University of Cambridge. I also organised meetings with Special collections staff at the University of Melbourne and the State Library of Victoria.
Interesting observations from many:
  • All "Rare books" at SLV are housed in the one secure area including Australian pre-1850 and non-Australian pre-1800 items.
  • SLV have been purchasing duplicate copies of novels by key twentieth century authors for the RB collections - and they don't remove the bookjackets.
  • If SLV have duplicate copies of an item they nominate a preferred copy for issuing. Staff are trained to select the copy according to specific criteria eg. the copy with a Library binding rather than fine binding.
  • Neither institutions have linked online database records to individual hardcopy records for rare printed books eg. EEBO.
  • Both institutions place acid free strips in the volumes with location and barcode attached.
  • Both institutions have dedicated staff to manage rare printed collections.

2 comments:

redbabette said...

Maggie,
I just wanted to say how much I like reading your blog. Not only is it a great example of how blogs can be used by our organisation but the content is also really interesting. I think it's a great communication tool for your project and I have learnt so much about our collections. Cheers

Mylee said...

The delicious tag cloud is working really well - it would be great to have this feature on other blogs we might set up for library customers eg. genealogy or Australiana.

MJ